I just removed the old strings from the Dolmetsch harp.
Some at least are not original; some are too thin, and one of the wound bass strings had obviously broken at some point and been reattached with a loop of thinner monofilament wire. Ingenious but probably not very sonorous!
But I feel that at the very least, these old strings are rather old and probably reflect the harp’s original stringing regime. The copper-alloy wires have a thick layer of patina on them.
So I removed them all very carefully, one at a time, and bagged each one up on a clear zip-lock bag, labelled on the outside with the name of the harp and the string number.
I had already measured the strings and worked out a possible original stringing and tuning regime. Eventually I hope to put modern brass wire strings on the harp, reproducing the original setup as closely as I can, so we can hear how the harp would have worked when it was new.
But first, we need to turn our attention to that soundboard crack.